Friday, February 24, 2023

Depression Era Challenge

 I have joined the Depression Era Challenge over at The Farm Wife blog. Today was the first challenge, which is to buy a bag of penny candy to have on hand. Before each challenge we're to unwrap a piece and savor it, and reflect on how candy is a luxury that often was only available at Christmas, if there was food on the table. 

I lead a privileged life. I have food in my cupboards and fridge. I have a roof over my head. I have a good paying job that enables me to take care of myself. I wasn't always food secure, there were times when my daughter was young that I had no idea where the next meal was coming from. Or my big meal of the day would be "frybread," essentially just water, flour, and a little salt. Living like that for so long has made it a bit hard for me now. I tend to get a bit panicky about having enough food. 

But I think this challenge will help me appreciate what I have. I need to be more thrifty for sure, and this will help. There is a good, free workbook for the challenge and the nice group page to post our reflections. 

I haven't bought my bag of candy yet, but I'll pick one up after work. I'm not much of a candy eater, so I know it will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment