Friday, March 24, 2023

Depression Era Challenge - Week 2 & 3 & 4

 Well, I am running a bit behind in documenting things, so let's jump back in and get caught up!!!

The theme of week 2 was Basic Skills/DIY. I have been learning how to sew. I kind of know the basics, but have never made anything from a pattern since high school. Proud to say, I have finished my first dress! My mother is an amazing seamstress, and was very patient in guiding me. I used the Dottie Angel Simplicity pattern, about 10 years too late to that trend but oh well! 

I am going to make 2 more under her guidance, I already have the next fabric ready to go. I LOVE this dress. It was relatively easy to sew and I love the look.


Week 3 was finances. We were challenged to create a create a piggy bank to tuck money into. I am using a nice tin from steel cut oats. I need to get back on my budget train. I've been trying to record what I spend each day and see at the end of the month what everything breaks down to. I lost my debit card recently so oh boy is that keeping me from spending anything. Or paying bills. Yikes. New one is coming eventually I guess. 

Week 4 was Garden! I have a fairly big garden for veggies and a smaller one for herbs. We are expanding both by a foot on all sides this year. I also have a small orchard that I have started and several berry bushes and fruit trees tucked around. I started my seedlings this month and they are rowing nicely. A lot of peppers, two kinds of tomatoes, job's tears, hibiscus, and some korean mint. Most things I'll start outside when the ground warms a bit. One of my friends is doing a neat project that I am helping with, tracking soil temperatures, when things get started, how they do, and so on. We'll track it year over year to get a feel for changes.

That was a lot of catch up. Onto week 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment